By: Patti Weaver

(Stillwater, Okla.) — A Yale man accused of breaking into a Cushing couple’s rural home and attacking the sleeping man with a baseball bat was released from the Payne County Jail on Friday after posting $25,000 bail, court records show.

If convicted of first-degree burglary and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, Travis Allen Jones, 40, could be given as much as a 30-year prison term and a $20,000 fine, court records show. Jones has been ordered to appear in court Tuesday for arraignment on the two-count charge.

Payne County Sheriff’s Deputy Korey Carruba was sent at 2:40 a.m. on July 30 to the couple’s rural Cushing home where the front door frame was broken, according to his affidavit.

The man, who had bruises on his right upper arm and left abdominal area, as well as on his right and left shins, said he did not want any medical treatment for his injuries, the affidavit said.

The woman, who had a bruise on her right arm near the inside of her elbow and scratch marks on her upper chest area, also said she did not need medical treatment, the affidavit said.

The man said “he was asleep in his bedroom and was woken up to Mr. Jones hitting him across the shins with a baseball bat multiple times,” the affidavit alleged. The man said “Mr. Jones hit him in the stomach and upper arm as he was trying to protect himself,” the affidavit alleged.

The woman said she woke up to Jones hitting the man with the bat, the affidavit alleged.

She said “Jones had a bright headlamp on so she could not see very well,” but became aware that it was Jones and started yelling at him to leave, the affidavit alleged.

The man said “as Mr. Jones stopped hitting him with the bat and left the residence, Mr. Jones was walking along the exterior of the house and busted the bedroom window,” before leaving in his pickup truck. the affidavit alleged.

The man said “he believed that Mr. Jones was agitated about him giving Mr. Jones’ girlfriend a ride to Pawnee,” the affidavit alleged. He said that the girlfriend, who was not the woman at the rural Cushing house, “may have started a rumor of some sort,” the affidavit alleged.

The deputy said that as he finished taking pictures of the damaged door and bedroom window, the woman told him “Mr. Jones had been texting her after he left,” the affidavit alleged.

“I read over the messages and Mr. Jones stated he was going to get another individual,” later identified as a man living in Pawnee County, the affidavit alleged.

Jones also texted that the Cushing man “had another one coming from him,” the affidavit alleged.

“I attempted to make contact with Mr. Jones at his residence, but was unable to get anyone to answer the door,” although a pickup matching the description of the one Jones had left in was at the residence, the affidavit alleged.