By: Patti Weaver

(Stillwater, Okla.) — A Stillwater man remains jailed on $30,000 bond on a felony charge alleging that he slapped his girlfriend’s 3-year-old daughter across her face — resulting in bruising and swelling around the child’s eye and bridge of her nose.

Brandon Lee Robertson, 27, has been ordered to appear before a Payne County judge on Aug. 5 when he can seek a preliminary hearing on a child abuse charge that carries a maximum penalty of life in prison on conviction.

The alleged abuse occurred four months after the child’s mother obtained an emergency protective order on her own behalf against Robertson, which was dismissed two weeks later when she did not appear in court.

After Stillwater Police Officer Chris Houston was sent to the woman’s residence about 1 p.m. on June 21, “I approached Brandon and he spontaneously began speaking to me. He immediately told me that he felt horrible for hitting (his girlfriend’s) child.

“Brandon continued to tell me that the child had been yelling and crying and that he lost his temper and slapped the child on her face. He told me that he wasn’t going to lie to the police about anything. As Brandon was telling me how he slapped her, he made a hand movement with an open palm,” the officer alleged in his affidavit.

“I could see that the child appeared upset and had been crying. I saw that the skin under her right eye was red and bruised and was swollen. The bruising was approximately two inches long under her eye and the bruising continued to the top bridge of her nose, stopping just underneath her eyes.

“I did not attempt to ask the child any questions about the assault. The child would occasionally grin at me and she did not appear to be in any obvious pain,” the officer wrote in his affidavit.

The child’s mother “claimed that the injury to her child happened sometime this morning before she had arrived home from work. (The mother) refused immediate medical treatment for the child and she told me that she was going to take her to a doctor out of precaution as soon as we were done speaking with her. I handed (her) a Wings of Hope card and explained to her they would be able to assist in obtaining a protective order against Brandon.

The child’s mother “mentioned to me that she had started the process with Wings of Hope earlier in the year, but she never followed through. I highly encouraged her to complete the process and they would be able to assist her,” the officer wrote in his affidavit.

After arresting Robertson, “While at the jail, I made telephone contact with the DHS hotline and completed a telephonic DHS referral,” the officer wrote in his affidavit.

A DHS worker “ultimately made the decision to transport the child to the Saville Center where she could be seen by a nurse to better assess the child’s injuries,” the affidavit said. The DHS worker “explained to me that DHS would be requesting a ‘safety plan’ for the child. At the time of this report, it is unknown if the child will be released,” back to her mother, the officer wrote in his affidavit.

Four months earlier on Valentine’s Day, the child’s mother got an EPO against Robertson that was dismissed for lack of prosecution, court records show.

In her petition for a protective order, the child’s mother wrote “Brandon was living with me for the past two months. We were in a relationship.

“On Tuesday, Feb. 12, we got into an argument. He wouldn’t let me leave my house and took my phone from me. He then was pushing me and throwing things. He attempted to throw the coffee table through the living room window. He finally let me leave and I went to work.”

On Valentine’s Day, after Robertson started another argument, she told him to leave, but he returned three times and pounded on the door, she wrote in her petition.

“We arrived at Wings of Hope and as I’m filling this out, he is texting me from an unknown number trying to get me to take him back. I want no contact with Brandon. I want him to stay away from my home and my work. I don’t want him anywhere near myself or my two and one-half year old daughter.

“I fear for my safety and the safety of my daughter…I want to feel safe in my home without having to continue to have the police patrol the area,” she wrote in her Feb. 14 protection order petition that was dismissed for lack of prosecution, court records show.