By: Patti Weaver

(Perkins, Okla.) — A Perkins man with multiple prior alcohol-related convictions has been freed on $20,000 bail pending an Aug. 25 court appearance on a felony charge of drunk driving in connection with an accident on Kirk Street, which was allegedly witnessed by a law enforcement agent.

If convicted in his latest case that was charged as a fifth offense, Michael Keith Ives, 64, could be given as much as a 20-year prison term and a $5,000 fine, court records show.

Ives was arrested at 5:38 pm on July 8 by Perkins Police Officer Kyle Howard, who was dispatched at 5:15 pm on a report of a non-injury accident on Kirk Street, east of Main Street, that was witnessed by Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation Agent Rachel Savory, an affidavit said.

The OSBI agent said she saw the accident in which all vehicles were facing west on Kirk Street while waiting on the traffic light, the affidavit said.

“As Agent Savory started to drive, she looked in her rearview mirror and witnessed the white Ford F-150 driven by Ives strike the rear of the blue Subaru,” the affidavit alleged.

“I spoke with Michael Keith Ives, who I know from multiple professional contacts, and he told me the incident was his fault,” the Perkins officer alleged in his affidavit.

“I asked Ives if he had been drinking and he stated he drank a ‘fifth’ the night before, but nothing today,” the Perkins officer alleged in his affidavit.

Ives agreed to take a battery of tests for sobriety, but declined to do any further ones after the first two tests, the affidavit alleged.

“Due to Ives’ admission of consuming alcohol, unsteadiness on feet, an odor of an alcoholic beverage about his person, Ives’ lack of following instruction on tests, and being involved in a motor vehicle accident, I told Michael Keith Ives he was under arrest for driving under the influence,” the Perkins officer alleged in his affidavit.

At the Payne County Jail, Ives’ alcohol level on two different breath tests was .14, which was over the legal limit of .08, the affidavit alleged.

After Ives’ truck was towed for safe storage, the Subaru driver’s husband said that she was complaining of neck and back pain, the affidavit said.

According to Payne County court records and the Oklahoma Department of Corrections, Ives had been released from prison five years ago to probation after serving four and one-half months in a substance abuse treatment program for one conviction of drunk driving in 2014, and three convictions for actual physical control of a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol between 2012 and 2014.

Ives had also been placed on three years of probation in 1996 for drunk driving in Ottawa County and on five years of probation in 1999 for drunk driving in Rogers County in 1997, DOC records show.