By: Patti Weaver

(Stillwater, Okla.) — A 50-year-old Glencoe man has been accused of child endangerment, drunk driving, and failing to use a child restraint system on Jan. 5 near the intersection of Highway 51 and Highway 108, in a case investigated by Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Ryan Long.

Walter Lee Weide remains free on a personal recognizance bond pending a Feb. 3 court appearance at which he can seek a preliminary hearing on the felony count of child endangerment.

Weide was arrested at about 8 p.m. on Jan. 5 after he stopped taking a field sobriety test and said “I failed,” according to the trooper’s affidavit.

The trooper had been patrolling in the area of Highway 51 and Highway 108 north when he saw a pickup truck on which the high center mount brake lamp did not illuminate at the intersection, his affidavit alleged.

The truck drifted left of center, traveled with the driver’s tires left of center for an extended period, and also crossed the fog line to the right, the affidavit alleged.

After the trooper stopped the truck, he immediately smelled alcohol coming from the vehicle, the affidavit alleged.

When the trooper explained to the driver that he stopped him for failure to maintain his lane, “the driver stated that he was turning around and speaking with his 4-year-old grandson in the back seat,” the affidavit alleged.

The trooper “asked Weide if he thought it was very smart to drive a child around after he had been drinking, and Weide stated that he hadn’t had ‘that much’ to drink. Weide stated that he had been at a bar attending the ‘Beer Olympics’ and that he had consumed 4-5 beers approximately 40 minutes prior to driving,” the affidavit alleged.

After being arrested, Weide agreed to take a breath test, which resulted in .10 blood alcohol, the affidavit alleged.

The 4-year-old boy in the back seat “was secured using only a shoulder and lap belt, a major safety hazard for a child his age,” the affidavit alleged.

His grandmother said that the mother knew they had the child, the affidavit said. The mother picked up the child from the scene, the affidavit said.

If convicted of the three-count charge, Weide could be incarcerated for as long as five years and fined $6,050, according to court documents.