By: Patti Weaver
(Stillwater, Okla.) — A former Cimarron Correctional Facility inmate — who is now serving a 56-year prison term at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester — was ordered today to stand trial on a charge of aggravated assault and battery on a guard at the private prison in Cushing on June 14, 2019.
Michael Lee Kious, 50, waived his right today to a preliminary hearing on the charge punishable by as much as a life prison term, in the case investigated by the Oklahoma Department of Corrections. Kious was ordered to appear for arraignment in trial court on Oct. 23.
Kious has been accused of punching a guard 18 times about the mouth, head and torso, choking him, and hitting him with his knees six times, court records show.
According to DOC records, Kious has apparently been in prison this time since Dec. 21, 2001 after being convicted of:
* assault and/or battery with a dangerous weapon in Oklahoma County in 1994, for which he was given probation that was revoked in 2001 to a three-year prison term of which he served three months until 2002 when he began serving the following sentence;
* robbery in Oklahoma County in 1999 for which he was given a 10-year prison term in 2002 that he discharged in eight years;
* assault and/or battery with a dangerous weapon in Cleveland County in 1998 for which he was given a 30-year prison term in 2000 that he began serving concurrently in 2002 and discharged in 17 years in 2019;
* two counts of assault and battery on a police officer and one count of attempted escape after lawful arrest in Cleveland County in 2000, for which a jury recommended a total prison term of 56 years consisting of two consecutive 23-year sentences for the attacks followed by a consecutive 10-year sentence for attempted escape;
* running a roadblock in 1993 in Oklahoma County for which he was given in 1994 a sentence of four years, 11 months and 29 days that he discharged in two years and nine months;
* two counts of pointing a firearm in 1993 in Oklahoma County for which he was given in 1994 two concurrent two-year prison terms that he apparently discharged in one year and 10 months.