By Patti Weaver


  (Stillwater, Okla.)  — A 29-year-old woman, who died of a fatal heroin overdose in her Perkins apartment, hated being addicted, her mother said in court at the drug dealer’s sentencing before Payne County Associate District Judge Michael Kulling last week.
    Noah Reimer Montague, 28, of Sand Springs, had originally been scheduled to stand trial on a first-degree murder charge on April 10 in Payne County in the death of Jamie Bear who had recently moved to Perkins, but instead accepted a plea bargain for a 15-year prison term on a reduced charge of second-degree murder.
    Montague, who pleaded guilty to furnishing the drug that killed the young woman, did not apologize to her family at his sentencing hearing that included extremely emotional statements from her mother, father and sister.
    Her mother, Kimberly Bear, said, “My heart is forever broken. My sweet baby girl, Jamie, has been taken away from us because of you, the drug dealer that sells drugs that kill people. I’ll never get to kiss her. I’ll never get to dance again our Osage ceremonial dances we did together.
    “She had the most beautiful laugh. My daughter was a beautiful young lady. She hated being addicted. She loved life. She loved her family. She loved her traditions. She loved her nieces and nephews. She adored them.
    “The hurt that I feel because of you, the drug dealer, that has no conscience selling drugs that kill people, my baby. Many have died because of people like you. You should have to serve more — 15 years is not enough.
    “My heart aches every day for my daughter. I will grieve for my daughter the rest of my life. You did this to me and my family. You didn’t care about taking her life.”
    The victim’s father, Curtis Bear, had not prepared a victim impact statement, but spoke forcefully to the admitted drug dealer: “I think you’re taking the coward’s way out — taking the two, instead of keeping the one,” referring to the charge that was reduced to second-degree murder from first-degree murder.
    Ordering Montague in a loud voice, the victim’s father demanded, “You look at me. Maybe we’ll see each other in hell. Maybe God’s going to forgive you and we’ll see each other in heaven.”
    The victim’s sister, Mary Lobo, told the judge, “Jamie’s my sister. We grew up together. She’s the aunt of my children. The impact on three generations of our family is extremely intense. I suffer from PTSD. I’m having an anxiety attack right now.”
    Speaking directly to the drug dealer, she said, “You’re going to be out of prison eventually. I hope you can figure out a better way to support yourself in the future.”
    Before ordering Montague to prison, the judge said, “This is a particularly troubling case. The court has received a recommendation,” from the state Attorney General’s Office regarding the sentence.
    “The court is going to abide according to the recommendation,” of 15 years in prison for second-degree murder followed by five years of probation for Montague.
    On the day before the victim died, her boyfriend, James Josiah Ramos, now 33, of Tulsa, who had gotten out of jail a few days earlier, bought half a gram of heroin for $50 from Montague at a convenience store in Tulsa on Sept. 9, 2019, according to his preliminary hearing testimony.
    Even though Ramos and the victim, who had dated off and on for eight years, had been clean for months, “We used right there in the parking lot,” after buying syringes at a pharmacy in Tulsa to inject the heroin, Ramos testified.
    “I got hazy after that. We went back to Perkins around dinner time. We used (again) before we went to bed about 10 pm,” Ramos testified.
    “We’d been sober for so long. It was real intense. I had shallow breathing,” Ramos testified.
    When he woke up the next morning, Ramos testified, “I’m still kinda high. Her presence is not there. I started shaking her.
    “I started freaking out. I’m pretty sure I checked her pulse. My hands were shaking. I think I was in shock. I didn’t know what to do.
    “I didn’t know if she was still alive. We used the night before. We were fine when we went to sleep.
    “I called a friend of ours. He said call EMSA. I didn’t know the address,” of her new apartment in Perkins, Ramos testified — admitting he didn’t call 911.
    “He said ‘pick up your stuff and leave.’ I left for 5-10 minutes. When I got back, a cop car was there. There was some heroin in the cell phone case,” Ramos testified.
    Ramos said he had been addicted to heroin since 2010 or 2011.
    Before his girlfriend’s death, “She looked healthy and sober. It never crossed my mind you can go to sleep and not wake up,” Ramos testified.
    Ramos, who remains jailed on a second-degree murder charge for providing heroin to the victim, has been ordered to appear in court on April 28 before Payne County District Judge Phillip Corley for a pre-trial hearing.