(Stillwater) — A Cushing man who is accused of shoving his girlfriend into a wall and choking her was arraigned Wednesday on a felony charge of domestic assault and battery by strangulation.
    Kyle Eric Reid, 26, who was released on a personal recognizance bond from the Payne County Jail, entered an innocent plea Wednesday. He was ordered to return to court on Dec. 7 when he can ask for a preliminary hearing in the case.
    Reid’s girlfriend is alleged to have suffered redness and swelling about the neck and asphyxia as a result of external pressure on the air passages of the neck, according to the charge filed by Payne County Assistant District Attorney Jill Ochs Tontz on Oct. 8.
    Reid was arrested at his home in the 1100 block of E. Oak Street at 5 p.m. Oct. 3 by Cushing Police Officer Jerrod Livergood, according to the officer’s sworn affidavit.
    The officer was sent to another location at 4:35 p.m. to talk to Reid’s girlfriend, who said that at about 4 p.m. she got into an argument with Reid at their home, the affidavit said.
    She said that Reid was on the computer while she was trying to talk to him, the affidavit said.
    She said that when Reid ignored her, she unplugged the Internet from the computer, the affidavit said.
    After she did that, “Reid began to get violent with her,” his girlfriend allegedly told the officer, according to the affidavit.
    She said that “Reid pushed her into the wall and left a hole in the wall where her shoulder hit it by the front door,” the affidavit alleged.
    She said that “Reid chased her outside while they were yelling at each other,” the affidavit alleged.
    She said that Reid went back inside and that she did the same shortly after to retrieve some property to leave their residence, the affidavit said.
    She told the officer that “when she went back inside, Reid wrapped his hand around her throat and threw her against the wall,” the affidavit alleged.
    She claimed that “Reid threw her onto the ground where he continued to choke her with his hand on her neck and sit on her for a few minutes,” the affidavit alleged.
    She said that “Reid let her go, and then he slapped her on the left side of her face,” the affidavit alleged.
    She told the officer that “she thought she was going to die because she felt like she was going to pass out while Reid was choking her,” the affidavit alleged.
    She said that after she got away from Reid, she ran across the street to call a relative, the affidavit said. She said that she got her purse and left for another relative’s house, the affidavit said.
    The officer observed red marks on the right side of her neck in the location that she said Reid was choking her and documented the injuries using a digital camera, according to Livergood’s affidavit.
    About 5 p.m. Livergood and another Cushing police officer contacted Reid at his residence, the affidavit said.
    Reid said that he and his girlfriend got into an argument over the computer, the affidavit said.
    “I asked Reid if the argument got physical, and he said ‘yes,"” Livergood wrote in his affidavit.
    “Reid said that she was going toward the door, and she bumped her head into the wall. According to Reid, that is how the hole in the sheetrock by the front door appeared,” the affidavit alleged.
    Reid said that after that, his girlfriend attempted to scratch him on his neck, the affidavit alleged.
    “When she did that, Reid said that he ‘took her to the floor and held her down.’ I asked Reid how the red marks appeared on her neck, and Reid said, ‘it might have happened when I was holding her shoulders on the ground,"” the affidavit alleged.
    Reid was arrested for alleged domestic abuse by strangulation and transported to the Cushing Police Department where he was interviewed an hour later by Livergood, the affidavit said.
    Reid told the officer that he and his girlfriend got into an argument about his e-mail, the affidavit said.
    “Reid said that they started yelling at each other. After that, Reid said, ‘I chased her out of the house and she looked back at me, and she fell or ran into the light switch and cracked the wall,"” the affidavit alleged.
    “Reid said that she went outside for a little while, and returned very upset. Reid said ‘she was coming at me, and I put her on her back to restrain her.’
    “Reid told me that he kept her down with his elbows trying to get her to settle down. After that, Reid said that she got up, took the computer cords, and left,” the affidavit alleged.
    When he was asked how the red marks appeared on his girlfriend’s neck, “Reid said ‘my arm might have slipped while I was holding her down,"” the affidavit alleged.
    “I also asked Reid if he slapped her across the face and he said, ‘I thumped her on her face with my finger,"” the affidavit alleged.
    If convicted of domestic assault and battery by strangulation, Reid could be given from one year to three years in prison and a $3,000 fine, according to court documents.