By:  Patti Weaver

(Stillwater, Okla.) — A Cushing man accused of abusing a deaf woman twice in four months has been ordered to appear in court on May 6 when he can seek a preliminary hearing on his felony charge.

Elvis Glen Gibson, 61, remains free on $4,000 total bail on a felony charge of domestic assault and battery by strangulation on March 3 and a misdemeanor charge of domestic assault and battery on Nov. 1 of last year.

Cushing Police Officer Garvis Thomas was sent to the couple’s home in the 1300 block of E. Ash Street at 1:45 a.m. on March 3 and found the woman, whom he knew was deaf due to previous encounters, sitting on the porch, his affidavit said.

The woman “informed me via hand signals that her life-in boyfriend, Elvis Gibson, choked her,” the Cushing officer alleged in his affidavit. The woman “was visibly upset and seemed extremely scared of Gibson,” and kept looking over the officer’s shoulder to see if Gibson was watching her from their residence, the affidavit alleged.

“Gibson advised nothing happened and explained that (the woman) had too much to drink and is just drunk,” the affidavit alleged.

But when the officer corresponded with her by written messages on a note pad and asked if she was hurt, “she shook her head in an up and down motion meaning yes,” the affidavit alleged.

The woman “made the hand motions of being choked,” the affidavit alleged.

She said “she was afraid of Gibson and stated, ‘I worried he mad at me if he get out he hit me more,'” the affidavit alleged.

The woman “also made a motion with her hand shaped like a gun and pointed it to her head and acted like she pulled the trigger,” the affidavit alleged.

“I was able to see a small mark on her neck,” but the woman did not want it photographed “because she was afraid Gibson would be more mad and hit her more,” the Cushing officer alleged in his affidavit.

Asked if anybody could come to get her, she wrote, “I want my phone, but he hid it,” the affidavit alleged.

“Gibson looked in the car and said they (their phones) were not in there,” the affidavit alleged.

“Officer Ballard advised he saw two phones sitting in the front passenger seat,” the affidavit alleged.

The woman retrieved her phone from their car and called a friend, who said he lives in Tulsa, but would be on his way to pick her up, the affidavit alleged.

When the woman was escorted inside her residence to get her jacket, “Gibson advised that (she) said she wanted to stay with him,” the affidavit alleged.

“Officer Livergood asked Gibson to turn around so he could communicate,” with the woman, who appeared too afraid of Gibson to say she wanted to leave in front of him, the affidavit alleged.

She “informed Officer Livergood she did not feel safe and wanted to leave with us,” to stay at the police department until her friend arrived to pick her up, the affidavit alleged.

“Cushing police officers have been sent to the above mentioned address a couple of times due to domestic violence,” the affidavit alleged.

Four months earlier, Cushing Police Officer Christopher Haywood was sent at 12:54 a.m. on Nov. 1, 2018, to the residence on a report the woman might have been bitten on the neck, his affidavit alleged.

When the couple were separated, the officer asked the woman by written communication if she had an injury on her neck, the affidavit alleged.

After “I explained to (her) that I was there to help,” the woman “then displayed the left side of her neck, presenting a red mark near her jaw line,” the officer alleged in his affidavit.

Asked if Gibson had bitten her neck, she nodded yes, the affidavit alleged.

Asked why that happened, the woman wrote, “I think he mad because I see my ex today,” the affidavit alleged.

Asked if he had done it before, she wrote, “He beat me, he went jail like 8-9 months ago,” in Tulsa, the affidavit alleged.

“I returned to Gibson and asked him about the injury to her neck. Gibson explained that it was from him and that he had given (her) a hickey kiss,” the affidavit alleged.

When the woman was asked if someone could be with her since Gibson was going to jail, she then became uncooperative and wrote, “Truth he is innocent. I never want Elvis go to jail,” the affidavit alleged.

If convicted of his felony charge of choking the woman on March 3 of this year, Gibson could be given a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $3,000 fine.

If convicted of his misdemeanor charge of biting the woman on the neck on Nov. 1 of last year, Gibson could be given a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $5,000 fine, court records show.