(Stillwater, Okla.) — An Agra man admitted Monday that he was drunk driving when he failed to stop at a stop sign — causing the death of a Cushing man in a collision in May in Payne County.

    Kash Glenn Mangus, 25, pleaded guilty Monday to first-degree manslaughter in the death of Ralph Edward Matlock Jr., 47, whose vehicle was struck by a Dodge pickup truck at 68th Street and Union Road about 4:43 p.m. on May 9.

    As part of a plea bargain approved by District Judge Phillip Corley Monday, Mangus was given a 15-year sentence — all suspended except six months in the Payne County Jail.

    On his release from custody, Mangus must participate in and successfully complete the Payne County Drug Court program and attend meetings with the victim’s family, which will be facilitated by state Department of Corrections Community Sentencing Specialist Dee Miller.

    Mangus was ordered to perform 150 hours of community service and told that any time that he speaks at a Victim Impact Panel, he can receive two hours’ credit for one hour of community service, court records show.

    Mangus must pay restitution, which is scheduled for a court hearing on June 8, 2012, court records show.

    Mangus must also pay for the cost of his incarceration and court costs, court records show. He had been free on $2,500 cash bond until Monday when he was remanded to the Sheriff’s Office.

    According to an affidavit by Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Coleman Parker, Mangus admitted to him that he had run a stop sign.

    Mangus told the trooper that he had had four or five beers, the affidavit said.

    “During the investigation it was determined that Mangus was driving a 2007 Dodge pickup and was northbound on Union Road.

    “A green 2002 Ford Wind Star van, driven by Ralph E. Matllock, was traveling east on 68th. The Dodge failed to stop at the stop sign and struck the Ford on the passenger side.

    “Ralph E. Matlock sustained fatal injuries as a result of this collision,” the affidavit said.

    While the trooper was at the scene, he spoke to two men who were traveling together and drove up on the collision after it happened, the affidavit said.

    Dustin Levi Pace of Cushing said that he stopped at the scene and called 911, the affidavit said. “He noticed a male walking who advised he was the passenger of the Dodge pickup,” the affidavit said.

    Mark Sean Swinton of Guthrie said that the driver was not on scene and that he had seen a male running into the woods.

    “Swinton states that he and Pace located him (Mangus) hiding in the trees and followed him back to the wreck,” the affidavit said.

    “Pace stated in his statement that Mangus stated to him that he had been drinking and wanted to know how the other person was doing,” the affidavit said.

    Mangus told OHP Trooper Todd Hatchett “he was going too fast and didn’t slow down at the stop sign. He stated he was going south to go home, and that he had gone by a friend’s house, but he wasn’t home.

    “When asked if he’d been drinking today, Mangus stated, ‘Yes, four or five beers,"” the affidavit said.

    Mangus was initially taken by ambulance to the Stillwater Medical Center, but was later transferred to St. Anthony’s Hospital for treatment of a broken neck, the affidavit said.

    The parents of the Cushing man who died from his injuries in the collision filed a victim impact statement in court records.

    “The death of our son, Eddie, has had a devastating effect on us,” Ralph and Pearl Matlock wrote in their statement.

    “We have now lost both of our sons in car wrecks dealing with alcohol. Ralph lost his namesake.

    “His two sons, Tyler and Trey, will carry on our family name and hopefully our values.

    “We have hoped for 47 years to see Eddie free of drugs and turn his life around. He was doing this in the last 30 days of his life,” the victim’s parents wrote.

    The victim’s sons lost their mother just over a year ago, the impact statement said.

    “It will be very hard to go through life without a mother or father. Grandpa and Grandma love them very much and are doing the best we can.

    “They will always remember that their Dad will never see them play football (he was looking forward to that) or see them graduate from school.

    “They have heard others tell stories about how good Eddie and Donnie were in football.

    “Dealing with this situation has been a real financial burden.

    “We had to replace the vehicle involved and pay for the funeral expenses.

    “Mr. Mangus’ insurance has not paid for one thing to help ease this burden.

    “That contact with them has been a constant reminder of his death,” the victim’s parents wrote.