Foster Families Needed for CVHS
(Cushing, Okla.) The Cimarron Valley Humane Society (CVHS) does not have an actual shelter so we rely on foster parents and/or families to provide the basics to animals waiting on their FURever homes. With spring approaching, puppies and kittens will be showing up in the shelter and our goal is to save as many as humanly possible.
What does fostering a dog or cat involve? When you foster, you agree to take a homeless dog or cat into your home and give him or her love, care and attention, either for a predetermined period of time or until the dog is adopted. Why do adoption groups need foster homes? There are many reasons a dog might need foster care. Some of the most common include:
• A rescue group doesn't have a physical shelter and depends on foster homes to care for dogs until suitable homes are found.
• A puppy is too young to be adopted and needs a safe place to stay until he or she is old enough to go to a forever home.
• A dog is recovering from surgery, illness or injury and needs a safe place to recuperate.
• A dog is showing signs of stress such as pacing or hiding.
• A dog has not lived in a home before or has not had much contact with people and needs to be socialized.
Why should I foster a dog or cat? Fostering a dog or cat is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have (other than adopting, of course). By taking an animal in need temporarily into your home you're:
• freeing up a spot so the CVHS can take in another dog or cat.
• giving your foster dog or cat the time he needs to be ready for adoption.
• helping the CVHS learn more about the dog or cat so he/she can end up in the best home possible.
• socializing the dog or cat to a home environment and possibly getting him/her used to being around other pets and different types of people.
What does it cost to foster a dog or cat? The only cost to you as a foster parent or family is time. The CVHS provides the food and medical treatments the dogs and cats need which include spaying or neutering and all vaccinations. As a foster parent or family, you are providing time to care, play, and love the dog or cat in order to make it desirable for a FURever home.
Please contact the CHVS (firstname.lastname@example.org) and help us save animals - it is very rewarding